Monday, March 7, 2011

A bus transformed into a moving room

I know, I know. Well, to my defense, I've been writing/working tons, just not posting anything here. Busy as ever finalizing all the content for the student life section of the yearbook (have a lengthy post already prepared about my experience with the publication), writing/editing for Medley, and working for my Web Journalism & Innovation course, the content of which is published on The Newshouse (a post coming up soon about that as well!). I consider the three above the most important in my life at the moment, but I also have wine appreciation, art history, and Italian literature courses to consider, too.

In the meantime, thought I'd post excerpts and links to two articles I wrote about Verbal Blend for the Connective Corridor newsletter earlier in the year. I'm still following Verbal Blend, as much as I can, when I can. I'm currently writing an article about them for Medley's spring issue and covering their first open mic of the semester for The Newshouse.

OK, so:

On this particular night, a bus was transformed into a moving room: headphones came off, cells were stowed in pockets, and the riders-turned-audience-members directed their attention to the center of the bus where the poets stood. Not only were the poets praised with applause, new riders were greeted with equal enthusiasm. "Magical" was the word Farschman used to describe the evening. -- "Poetry in Motion" Turns Busses into Performance Venues

and

After basking in the glory that came with winning the banner competition at the annual LC Palooza opening weekend, learning community members became quick friends. The four sophomores on the floor serve as PALs, or "Poets Achieving Leadership," who help their mentees make the transition from high school to college. PALs also work with mentees to develop and improve their poetry.

"We have our own little network where we talk and vibe off of each other," says Christiona Hawkins, a PAL on the floor. Aside from participating in poetry sessions, the learning community poets attend Verbal Blend poetry workshops, which Bolton conducts twice a week for six weeks each semester. -- Poets Put Down Roots

Well, Syracuse University just granted its first full snow day in 18 years (and the second one ever). I'll post more soon, but for now I'm off to enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment