Sunday, April 17, 2011

Tight-ink boxes.

My emotions are untamed, vicious, constantly whirling.
They poke, they pull, they jab at my consciousness.
The only way to protect myself is to force them into a word.
Words are like jail cells.
When I confine my emotions, I release my thoughts from unrelenting torture.
Memories, feelings, they can't hurt me--not in their tight-ink boxes.
So, I study them. I learn from them.
They can't hurt me again.

- Brandon

On Sunday, I attended the last learning community workshop in Boland Hall for the purposes of filming it for my Newshouse project (which, btw, will probably be more of a disaster than success, but we'll see). Before the workshop, I interviewed a few of the poets, and because I probably won't be able to use all of it for my project, I'll probably edit a few of them and post on here. I was taken by surprise because I had planned to film the workshop a certain way, but because it was the last one, Michelle (the RA), decided to do something completely different. I think I'll be able to work it out, though.

During the second half of the workshop, Michelle gave the residents index cards and asked them to write what poetry meant to them. A few explained in list form, but others wrote poems. Brandon, whose last name I don't know, hardly ever comes to the workshops but he decided to stop by because it was the last one. By watching him I gathered he's not necessarily a shy person, but when he stood in front of the group, he became sort of bashful and said, "I don't usually write poetry, I just come to listen." When he finished, everyone was stunned. "That was incredible," Cedric Bolton said. A look of awe appeared on Michelle's face. I think Brandon himself didn't expect to receive the response he did. I don't think Brandon himself realized until that moment the talent of the words he spoke. Honestly, it was the best poem read that night.

The only way to protect myself is to force them into a word. They can't hurt me--not in their tight-ink boxes.

Tight-ink boxes. Isn't that wonderful??

I was so bummed because I couldn't make it to the only slam competition of the semester yesterday, but I was occupied with Medley proofs (we sent the magazine to print today! I'm so excited, it's our best issue to date). One of those things--when you want to do two things you love at the same time.

I'm really going to miss Verbal Blend.

No comments:

Post a Comment