Monday, April 4, 2011

We're too comfortable for change

We're too comfortable for change--picking a name from a ballot is more than enough,
and too much sometimes.
We sit back and watch as the world is controlled from a place too far
from the television screen,
put trust in the knowledge of others, devils in suits,
No questions.

- Amanda Fox-Rouch

Quick Verbal Blend-related post. Last night I attended the weekly Sunday workshops held in Boland Hall, where the poet's learning community resides. The workshops run much like the ones led by Cedric Bolton, except Bolton doesn't attend these and the discussions are facilitated by the students themselves. This week, Michelle, the floor's resident advisor (I've mentioned her in previous posts), led the workshop; she chose Hate Crimes as the night's theme because last week she learned about James Byrd's murder and "couldn't stop thinking about it." For an hour and a half, the 9 students who attended, along with Michelle and Jaris (Boland's residence director) discussed hate crimes and other topics such as fear and hate (and whether one leads to the other), about government, misunderstanding of culture, Westernization, America's influence, money, and how political motives influence government decisions. Like a seasoned professor, Michelle sat at the head of the group and encouraged her peers to express their thoughts and ideas. Some were quieter than others, but all had something to say. I took so many notes and recorded the whole thing, I wish I could say more about it. All I'll say for now is that it was so refreshing to see a young group of students actively, willingly, engaging in intelligent conversation and freely expressing their thoughts while teaching each other, too.

Another idea that stemmed from the conversation was American apathy. A revolution like the one that happened in Egypt could never happen here, Amanda noted; Americans are too comfortable. Above is her poem, written in the 10 minutes after the discussion ended.

I mentioned I would find another way to get Verbal Blend on the Newshouse. I decided to do my final project for Web Journalism about them. The project consists of a story, video, photos, and an interactive component to be published on the site. A little nervous. I have a lot of ideas, I just hope I'm able to execute them.

No comments:

Post a Comment